Animation-ish Frequently Asked Questions
I just downloaded the trial and it says I have zero days. How do I fix this?
When the trial is installed on a Mac using an account that is not an admin account, sometimes it will come up as "0 days." If you installed the trial on an account other than the admin account, please log into the admin account and try reinstalling the trial.
I am installing the full version on my Mac, but it will not install properly on my computer. I keep having to reinstall.
After double-clicking on the installer file, you must drag the Animation-ish icon from the installation window into your computer's Applications folder. Please follow the steps outlined in the screenshots below:
Launch Animation-ish from your Applications folder and enter your license key. You may choose to keep it in your Dock if you wish.
How do I install Animation-ish on Mac Mountain Lion?
Before installing the software, you need to follow these steps to allow Animation-ish to run on Mountain Lion.
- Make sure you are logged in as an administrator with full permission.
- Open the application System Preferences.
- Find the "Security & Privacy" preference panel, on the first row.
- Press the orange lock in the bottom left corner of the window.
- Enter the administrator password for the computer.
- Change the radio button set on the bottom from "Mac App Store and identified developers" to "Anywhere".
- Press the "Allow From Anywhere" button on the dialog box that pops up.
- Quit System Preferences.
- Install Animation-ish and enter your license key.
- After you have successfully installed Animation-ish, you may reset your computer's installation permissions if you wish. Simply follow the steps above and change the radio button back to its original setting.
Best Practices - follow these as you and your students begin creating films!
- If students delete multiple frames and recreate them, instead of doing this in the existing file, it's best for them to create a new file to create their new drawings. Working on the same project over and over can cause the files to become large and require more memory usage.
- Make sure students are saving files to a local computer hard drive, not to the server or an external hard drive. Although it appears that you are saving one file to a server, you're actually transferring many files. This can cause a crash to happen.
- Always back up projects and save different versions, so you will have a previous version to return to if necessary.
- As soon as a project becomes large (in file size or number of frames) and is slow to open or takes a long time to save, you should create a new empty project and copy and paste the frames from the existing project to the new one. To do so, copy all the drawings in the timeline from the existing project (control/cmd + c) and paste them into the newly created project's timeline (control/cmd + v). You can copy many frames at once by holding the shift key, clicking on one frame, and then clicking on another frame further down the timeline (while still holding shift). Continue working in the new file.
- Break down a very long animation into manageable scenes (rather than having everything in one Animation-ish file). Not only will this help prevent any issues with the file, but it will also allow you to work in the files more quickly (with less delay when opening or saving the files). At the end of the project, assemble the different scenes in a third party editing program (like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie, which are both free).
We hope these guidelines will be helpful as you and your students create your films. Have fun!
Can I add sound or music to my animations?
To add sound or music to your Animation-ish project, export your animation as a Quicktime® file, and then add your audio in a third party program. We recommend iMovie for Mac and Windows Movie Maker for PC (both programs are free). Many of our customers have created wonderful finished films with audio and titles by using third party programs.
What size is the stage and film output?
The stage and film output dimensions are 500 x 375 pixels.
Need assistance with a technical issue?
We're eager to resolve it so you can enjoy our software! Please submit the issue you are experiencing at our Technical Support page. Filling out the required information ensures that you will receive a quick and helpful response from our team. You'll hear back from us soon!