About Words and Their Stories
Words And Their Stories is an award-winning web-based vocabulary program that engages students in grades 5-12 with the stories behind words.
- Builds vocabulary and reading comprehension skills.
- Supports differentiated instruction.
- Fosters the development of critical thinking skills.
- Improves test-taking skills.
- Lets students log in from any computer connected to the internet, allowing them to work on their vocabulary as homework.
Experience for yourself why thousands of students around the world are using our patented WATS™ System for online vocabulary development.
- A compelling game, while exploring academic vocabulary.
- A series of clues helping unravel each word's meaning
- The ability to track personal progress and watch vocabulary skills improve.
Words And Their Stories includes over 1,000 vocabulary words.
- Six levels of difficulty
- Thousands of related words.
- Custom words added by you!
About the WATS™ System:
A game-like experience leads students through clues for each word. Rather than relying on rote memorization, students must apply etymology and critical thinking skills in a sequential, inductive process to unravel and understand each word's definition.
- First: An illustrative story of the derivation of each word
- Clue #1: Applying information contained in the derivation
- Clue #2: Drawing upon prior knowledge
- Clue #3: Inferring meaning from context
- Clue #4: Completing an analogy
- Clue #5: Analyzing context to complete a sentence
Words And Their Stories is web-based. Students can log in to their accounts from any computer connected to the Internet. Because it is a flash-based program, it will not work on an iPad. Parents and guardians can track students' progress from an easily accessed "Scores" screen within the student account
When you order a single-user account, a FableVision team member will send you an email with a temporary username and password, and you will be asked to download a PDF with easy instructions for setting up your online account. After you have set up your account, you will be able to log in to Words And Their Stories online.
If you are an educator and would like to use this program with an entire class, a classroom/school license is available that includes a powerful Teacher Module for tracking multiple students' progress. If you have questions or need a quote for classroom, school, or district-wide pricing, please call us at 800-828-0017 or email Orders@FableVisionLearning.com.