The Dot and Ish Interactive Frequently Asked Questions
Installing Big Screen Books on Windows 8 and 10
Big Screen Books is not natively compatible with Windows 8 or 10, but some compatibility settings can be adjusted in order to get it running again.
- After you finish downloading the .zip file from the download information email you received after purchasing, right-click the file and select Extract All. Choose a location to save the uncompressed folder, click Extract, and then locate the saved folder and double-click to open it.
- Locate the Installer file and right-click it to open a drop-down menu. Select Troubleshoot Compatibility. A window will open and load for a few seconds while detecting compatibility.
- When prompted to select a troubleshooting option, click Troubleshoot Program.
- Select the first checkbox: "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows [...]" and then click Next.
- Select Windows Vista from the list of potential operating systems.
- Click Test the program and the Big Screen Books installation wizard should open. You can exit out of the installer once it opens successfully and then click Next on the compatibility mode window; do not continue the installation process.
- Select Yes, save these settings for this program and then Close the troubleshooter.
- Now you can double-click the Installer file to launch it normally. Follow the installation prompt to install Big Screen Books.
- If you launch Big Screen Books from your computer and it appears as a white screen, you will need to continue this same compatibility process for the Big Screen Books shortcut instead of the Installer file. Locate the Big Screen Books application shortcut and right-click it to open a drop-down menu. Select Troubleshoot Compatibility. From here you can continue the same process from Steps 2-8 except with Big Screen Books instead of Installer.
- When you save the compatibility settings at the end of the process, you should be able to double-click the Big Screen Books shortcut normally to launch the software from now on.
Note: On Windows 10 you may right-click Installer and not see Troubleshoot Compatibility. Right-click Installer and choose Properties. In the window that opens choose the Compatibility tab. The Troubleshoot Compatibility prompt can be accessed from there.
I installed Big Screen Books onto my Mac but the player does not work.
On Mac computers, you may have to install Adobe AIR before installing Big Screen Books. You can download Adobe AIR here.
Can I use The Dot and Ish Interactive Edition on an iPad?
You cannot run Big Screen Books from an iPad, but you can use it on your computer or interactive whiteboard.
I downloaded Big Screen Books from your site, but when I double-click on the file it does not install the software.
Here are some simple steps to make sure the software installs properly:
- It is best to download and install the software while logged in as an administrator with full permission. If you are not logged in as an administrator, please do so and try installing again.
- Make sure the .zip file is fully downloaded to your computer. If it is only partially downloaded, it will not install.
- Please be sure to unzip the file by following these directions:
- Windows: Simply right-click on the .zip file and choose "Extract All." (You can also use a program like Winzip to unzip the file.)
- Mac: Double-click on the .zip file to extract the folder.
I downloaded Big Screen Books but I am not sure where the file went on my computer.
When you click on the link to download the software, you will most likely be prompted to select "Save as" and choose a location on your computer (i.e. your Desktop). We recommend saving the file somewhere easy to find. If you do not get this option to choose a location, the file might have downloaded to your default download location (usually your computer's Downloads folder).
You can also right-click on the download link (or CTRL-click on Mac) and select "Save link as". This will allow you to save the file to the location of your choice.
If the program has downloaded but you're still not sure where it is, please search for the file on your computer with these file names:
- On Mac: "BSB_ISH_mac.zip"
- On Windows: "BSB_ISH_win.zip"
After finding the file, please follow the installation instruction PDF that was issued with your download. It is important to install as an administrator with full permission.
When I launch Big Screen Books, there are no books in my library.
If you do not see Ish in your library, it most likely means that a permissions setting is interfering with the program installing the book content on your computer. Please be sure to install as an administrator with full permission. If you have installed as an admin, you may need to adjust the permissions for the specific folder to which Big Screen Books installs its books. (This folder, called "Fablevision," is separate from the Big Screen Books folder in Program Files on PC or Applications on Mac.)
If you are installing on a school computer, you might need to ask your technical staff for help in changing permissions. However, you can try to do this yourself by following the instructions below:
Please navigate to the “Fablevision” folder, as described below, and adjust the permissions to allow for reading and writing:
Windows Vista or Windows 7:
Go to “Computer” and navigate to C:/ProgramData/Fablevision
Go to “My Computer” and navigate to C:/Documents, then Settings/All Users/Application Data/Fablevision Note: The Application Data folder may be hidden on your system. You can reveal hidden files on your machine by navigating to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View and selecting “Show Hidden Files and Folders.”
Navigate to Users/Shared/Fablevision
(If you were prompted to select a location for book files when you first installed the program, please navigate to that location and change permissions for the "Fablevision" folder.)
After changing permissions for the "Fablevision" folder, please reinstall Big Screen Books and the book should appear in your library.
Need assistance with a technical issue?
We're eager to resolve it so you can enjoy our software! Please submit the issue you are experiencing at ourTechnical Support page. Filling out the required information ensures that you will receive a quick and helpful response from our team. You'll hear back from us soon!